Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What I do?

a lot of people ask this question. while gearing up for the next thing, I'm obviously taking a bit of poetic stock. here's something to explain the fine art of casting

These last three years, have been a practicum
on the interview, for me. House members,
caregivers, partners, or at least those who
might make a second pass, or third, or more:
it's a much lengthier recruitment, that.

From choosing roommates, I have learnt, mostly,
to just hold up a mirror. Fine. Done. Good.
No single mothers, especially not those
who prove borderline, soon after locating.
Hardest roommates to have: older women.

Watch auto owners, pet owners, and pot.
See how well they notice detail. Will they
get a glass of milk for dad? Won't make cut.
Have much stuff? Smoke? Tell me about cooking.
How do you feel about storm windows? heat?

A lot of applicants drop off. That's fine.
I've made enough mistakes, now, but own them.
I'm breaking a couple, even now: age.
A room of two under thirty: they're cool.
The room meant kept vacant for house-guests: well...

Caregivers are a different story.
With roommates, truth is told - less artifice.
Everyone wants to live comfortably.
Those seeking work seem more disposed to lie.
I think I've seen nearly everything, now.

Brilliant references, chews in front of me.
TWO - imagine. Garden variety
potheads: we've had three. I think I ferret
them out at interview, at least nearly.
I've surely learnt a lot less tolerance.

Those that don't know their schedule, need to
get back to me, won't. Language problems
will not get better. Disabilities:
what's someone who's twenty, with back problems
doing here? We've got a fall risk at hand.

The fainting violets are soon chewed up
and spat out by this hard to love parent
the inattentive, too: if I'm not heard
and dad isn't, during interview, well,
how can person work with us anyway?

Later on we learn about competence.
This is the same as dating. Defensive
speech, behavior, get both parties nowhere
Tardiness, absences; excuses please
only those that make them, usually.

In this way caregivers, dates intersect.
The last sort of interview, however,
involves the most art, but yields the greatest
levels of artifice of all of them.
Very difficult, indeed. Frustrating.

Much like how I play bridge, sad to say. I
don't know the conventions, to offer them.
Or, the ones I know, he across from me
does not. Not enough chance to learn the game.
Doesn't keep us away, despite our faults.

Reading people, like tea leaves. Gut counts lots.
Learning to trust the gut-response hurts head.
Both gut AND head double-minded, opposed.
Deliberations, time, not well disposed.
The man across the table departs.

So, the floods of people coming through here
to see a room, or me and dad, they serve
to further hone the skills taken on to
Dining rooms and cafes, concerts, and such.
Practicing makes perfect? One part of it.

The house is more settled, now than before.
The caregivers seem stable for us, too.
Addressing my own life again seems apt.
Moving past initial date overdue.
(I've less control on this last, however.)

No comments: